For the most part, I love my job. I love my co-workers, students, and just the overall sense of community that ADM has created. I knew from my interview that this was the place I wanted to raise my family.
But during the last few weeks, I've been at a constant battle with one student. I don't know if the hatred towards me comes from the class he's in or if it is just me, but this kid is making every day a constant struggle. I am used to kids not like my class. REMEMBER...I teach speech. There aren't too many students who would list speech as their favorite class. I typically hear phrases like, "I like you, Mrs. Seidl, just not your class." I'm okay with that. I realize speaking isn't everyone's forte and we deal with that. I accommodate them to help the students overcome their fears with public speaking. My overall goal is to make them a better speaker than they were when they first entered my classroom (even if it's just a baby step...that's still growth).
But what do you do with one student who rejects everything you say? Sure, this kid and I have had some go-arounds (i.e. him being disrespectful towards me and the class). But as a teacher, I know that I still have to teach this kid. He still needs to be a part of the class. The student has other ideas. He is still disrespectful, but I know if I say something it will only get worse. He doesn't want to work in groups, but I know if I say something it will only get worse.
So... here I am.... stuck with a student who hates me, hates my class, etc.....And I have no idea what to do with. This is by far the most difficult student problem I've dealt with...we'll see how it all turns out.
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment