Pages


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"You Look Like a Mom"

Most people hate Mondays. But for me, Mondays are one of my favorite times. Not getting up or going to school--I dislike those as much as anyone. My favorite part happens after the school day has ended. Now that speech has ended, I get 2 hours to be child-less. I head off to the Y for a great work-out (2 miles this Monday!) and off to Fareway for some groceries. Now, to some people, grocery shopping is just another mindless chore that must be done to keep a household running. But for me, it is a way for my need to plan to be fulfilled. I love to decide what we are having for a week and go to the store on a mission: knowing exactly what I'm there to buy. I get satisfaction from crossing off a menu item from my list, knowing that my plan worked.

But to back up in the story a little, I distinctly remember the feeling I had while running at the Y. I felt free without the kids and the thought crossed my mind that I might even look like a young, single woman. Now Chris, don't worry, I wasn't trying to pick up guys at the Y. But I think every married mom wonders if people can tell that they are married or that they are a mom. Well, at least, I do. I don't ever get sick of the look of surprise people give me when they hear that I have not only two kids, but a six year old. So as I was leaving the Y in my workout clothes and black Nike headband, I felt that I definitely didn't fit the "mom" look at that moment.

I guess I was wrong. I was somewhere between the pasta aisle and the detergent aisle when a man approached me. He seemed troubled and very out of place. He looks at me for a second before saying, "You look like a mom to me. Tell me, what band-aid sticks the best?"

Before I answered his question, I took a minute to think about this. What made me look like a mom at that moment? I've already describe to you what I was wearing, so I quickly ruled out my wardrobe. I checked my cart for pull-ups or fruit snacks that would have been dead giveaways for my mom status. The only thing that was out of place with the health foods and Chris's pop was Captain Crunch Crunch Berries, but let's face it, Chris and I eat those more than the girls do.

So, what gave away my "Momness"? What told that guy that "hey, that 24 year old looks motherly"? I'm still debating this question. I feel that I've struggled for the last six years with being the youngest mom at all the school meetings, being called Lexi's 'sister' while trick-or-treating, and always getting the "she's too young for those to be her kids" looks. But this experience definitely made up for some of those. Today, I was called mom by a total stranger...and it was strangely pleasant. I handed him a box of band-aids (Mom approved) and continued on my way.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry...you're a milf...and I can find multiple students to confirm that notion if need be. :)

    ReplyDelete