Pages


Friday, April 27, 2012

The Struggles of a Teacher

For the most part, I love my job. I love my co-workers, students, and just the overall sense of community that ADM has created. I knew from my interview that this was the place I wanted to raise my family.

But during the last few weeks, I've been at a constant battle with one student. I don't know if the hatred towards me comes from the class he's in or if it is just me, but this kid is making every day a constant struggle. I am used to kids not like my class. REMEMBER...I teach speech. There aren't too many students who would list speech as their favorite class. I typically hear phrases like, "I like you, Mrs. Seidl, just not your class." I'm okay with that. I realize speaking isn't everyone's forte and we deal with that. I accommodate them to help the students overcome their fears with public speaking. My overall goal is to make them a better speaker than they were when they first entered my classroom (even if it's just a baby step...that's still growth).

But what do you do with one student who rejects everything you say? Sure, this kid and I have had some go-arounds (i.e. him being disrespectful towards me and the class). But as a teacher, I know that I still have to teach this kid. He still needs to be a part of the class. The student has other ideas. He is still disrespectful, but I know if I say something it will only get worse. He doesn't want to work in groups, but I know if I say something it will only get worse.

So... here I am.... stuck with a student who hates me, hates my class, etc.....And I have no idea what to do with. This is by far the most difficult student problem I've dealt with...we'll see how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment