Pages


Thursday, April 5, 2012

How quickly time flies.....

Around this time every year, I get a little nostalgic thinking about the seniors leaving and another school year wrapping up. If you've worked in education, this is known as the "rejuvenation" phase---a.k.a. the time that makes us enjoy teaching enough to come back next fall. :-)

This year, I think it is hitting me even more than in the previous three years. Here are a few thoughts that have been spinning around in my head:

THEN: When we first moved to Adel, Brenna was was 3 weeks old. She was still sleeping in a bassinet. Lexi was almost 4 ready to start preschool in the fall. She had just moved into her twin sized bed and was excited to make some new friends in our new town.

NOW: Brenna is the age that Lexi was when we first moved here. She is starting preschool in the fall. Lexi is turning 8 this summer (I still can't believe she's almost 8 no matter how many times I say it).

REALIZATION: My baby is no longer my baby. I know I posted that a few months ago, but it still is hard to believe.

THEN: Chris was willing to move to where ever (as long as it was in a 30 mile or so radius of Ankeny.) He had a good job at John Deere even if it meant he would be a welder for the rest of his career.

NOW: Chris is now a Welding Engineer assistant (I don't know his 'official' title) at John Deere. While this job now entails traveling and being gone from us for long periods of time, I think he truly likes what he is doing. He feels important at his job, which I feel is essential in having a happy employee. Although the traveling part isn't my favorite, I am truly proud of him for all of his hard work.

REALIZATION: I have an amazing husband. :-) (I already knew that.)


THEN: I had just graduated from Simpson and had got my first job at ADM... all while having a baby and buying/moving into a new house. I don't remember much about that summer except being overwhelmed!

NOW: I'm still at ADM and have a hard time imagining working anywhere else. I'm a "hometown" type of girl--I like living where I work, and I like being involved with the place where my kids are going to grow up and go to school.

REALIZATION: I think Chris and I are Life-long ADELians. :-) I love everything about this town--the people, the size, the location to Des Moines, etc. I'm so lucky to have a job I love in the town I live in--I truly am blessed. While I haven't forgotten about my dream of getting my masters and teaching at local universities, it just isn't the right time yet.

THEN: When I starting coaching Speech, I had big dreams of all-state and a huge team. Our numbers weren't big that first year, but we had a lot of fun!

NOW: Our numbers still aren't huge, but they are definitely rising! (Up 8 people in Individuals this year!) This year, I am losing over 3/4 of my speech team to graduation. These are the kids who took the Reader's Theatre to all-state last year and won, the kids who got up early the morning of contest to be door greeters, and in the end, the kids I am going to miss the most next year.

REALIZATION: This kids are the reason my speech team has had such strong seasons the past 4 years. They are willing to go above and beyond what I ask of them. How do you say goodbye to that? I am not looking forward to graduation this year. The plus side: They are holding a 'camp' this summer to recruit more speech kids. Like I said..."above and beyond"

I could go on and on with all of the changes in the last four years. While change is difficult for me, I know that things have to change. And change isn't always a bad thing---Maybe in 4 years, I'll look back on this post and think, "Wow, look at how great everything turned out." :-)

4 comments:

  1. This made me think about all my Speech memories with you! Speech was one of those things I thought I'd never do, but it's a lot more than many think! Make Natalie go out for large group!!! :) p.s.- Stop stalking me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this style of blog. I think I'm going to copy it! :)

    I completely understand what you're saying about the kids you've "grown-up" with professionally. I keep thinking about how much some of the kids I've taught/coached have affected me as much (or even more so) than I've affected them.

    That is AWESOME about the summer camp! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel-- I'm so glad you did do speech! I'll work on Natalie for next fall Large group!

    And I'll try to stop stalking you if you stop showing up in all the places that I am! I love my new lotion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle- And we've only been teaching 4-5 years...What's it going to be like in 15-20?

    You should come back and help Tammie and I write our pieces this summer!

    ReplyDelete